Thursday, July 31, 2014

Nene Dreams










Nene Dreams is finally finished and delivered! This large custom piece (36x48) honors the Nene Goose, endangered state bird of Hawaii. This was a big project for me, as I typically paint 16-inch or smaller canvases.



Nenes are graceful, gentle birds with beautiful striped markings. The border of the painting represents a lei of Hawaiian flowers: Hibiscus, Ginger, Anthurium, Plumeria, Protea and a hanging Heliconia at the top. This piece celebrates the grace and beauty of Hawaii, as well as endangered wildlife. In the hills, I captured the serene mist that is often present on Kauai.


I started with a rough outline of the background, using bright colors as a base for background highlights...



With color shading in two deeper tones and grass, the painting began to take form


Then, I added the floral border, using photos as a reference...



On my trip to Kauai a couple years ago, I was lucky enough to see a flock of Nenes in the valley....

Hawaiian Heliconia, Protea and Anthurium




 Choose from a variety of sizes. All prints are made and packaged with eco-friendly materials. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment